Trinamool Congress gets flak over `politicisation of rape`
Kolkata: Besides questioning the efficacy of West Bengal`s ruling Trinamool Congress sending five of its MPs to Madhya Pradesh to enquire into a rape case, women activists here are appalled at the selection of two women MPs in the delegation who had earlier passed snide remarks against a rape victim.
Peeved by the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) deputing successive teams to her state over political violence, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee announced five of her MPs would be visiting Khandwa in the saffron party- ruled state to inquire about the horrific incident of a 30-year-old woman being gang-raped and forced to drink urine.
Slamming the Trinamool supremo`s move to "politicise rape", several women activists have expressed their reservation over MPs Kakoli Ghosh Dastidar and Arpita Ghosh being part of the delegation.
Dastidar was forced to apologise for calling the 2012 Park Street rape, where the victim was an Anglo-Indian woman, a "sex deal gone wrong". The apology came after the state`s rights panel took cognizance of the comments.
On the other hand, thespian-turned politician Ghosh, seeking to justify the chief minister`s claim that the case was "fabricated", had blamed the victim after she had faltered in identifying the rapists.
"Before accusing the Chief Minister for her comment, the woman should be blamed as she failed to point out the culprits," Ghosh had said in 2012.
Blaming the Banerjee government over the rising crime against women in Bengal, rights activist Anuradha Talwar dubbed the delegation a political gimmick.
"Instead of indulging in political gimmickry, the Trinamool should put its own house in order. The fact that Dastidar is a part of this team not only reflects the Trinamool`s insensitivity but also indicates what kind of findings this team will be giving," Talwar told a news agency.
Echoing this, activist Bolan Ganguly slammed the Banerjee government for belittling the cause of rape victims in Bengal, whose wait for justice seem "endless".
"Be it Park Street, Kamduni or the Madhyamgram cases, the wait for justice seems to be endless and the Trinamool is shamelessly politicising a social curse like rape," Ganguly said.
Charging the Trinamool with being "insensitive", Ganguly said the presence of Ghosh and Dastidar will "aggravate the Khandwa victim`s pain rather than sooth it".
While the prime suspect in the Park Street case is still at large, the trials in the Kamduni and Madhyamgram rape cases - both in North 24 Parganas district - have been meandering despite the government`s assurances of speedy justice.
Former National Commission for Women member and veteran Marxist leader Subhashini Ali minced no words in attacking the Trinamool.
"Trinamool`s political brinksmanship and tit-for-tat approach against its rivals is alarming. This politics over rape is highly condemnable. As for Dastidar being part of the delegation, it is outright disgusting. The whole country was ashamed of her outrageous remarks," Ali told a news agency.
Needless to say, the BJP has flayed Banerjee over the move.
"The Trinamool`s functioning defies logic, sending of the delegation is laughable all the more because women in her own state are waiting for justice while Bengal continues to top the country when it comes to crime against women," BJP MP and famed Bollywood singer Babul Supriyo told a news agency.
Amid all the criticism, the five-member delegation, headed by Trinamool deputy leader in Rajya Sabha Sukhendu Shekhar Roy, left for Bhilai Kheda village in Khandwa district on Wednesday.
"Everybody has the right to form an opinion but we don`t subscribe to the view that the delegation is a gimmick or political posturing. As the people`s representatives we have the right to ascertain why such a heinous act was committed and what needs to be done to prevent its recurrence," Roy told a news agency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM