Trinamool Congress leader shot dead
Kolkata: A local Trinamool leader was shot dead by unidentified assailants in Canning town in South 24 Parganas district, some 50 km from here, police said on Saturday.
"Manik Paik was shot dead late Friday night at his residence in Canning by a group of people. We are investigating the matter. No arrests have been made in the case so far," Superintendent of Police, LN Meena said.
Paik, a panchayat head was shot in his sleep. While the local Trinamool Congress leaders pointed fingers at the Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) for the killing, the Marxists said it was the result of infighting in the Trinamool.
"We all know who are behind the killing. The CPI-M people have been targeting Paik for long and this time, they have been successful in eliminating him," Shaukat Molla, a local Trinamool leader said.
CPI-M leader Sujan Chakrabarty dismissed the allegation and said it was the result of infighting between two groups of the Trinamool Congress.
"That he (Paik) might get killed due to infighting in the Trinamool Congress was a known fact among the locals here. In fact, the electronic media has been widely reporting about the possibility," Chakrabarty told a Bengali news channel.
Paik`s son Mridul has filed an FIR against seven people for the killing of his father.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015