Trinamool Congress leader shot dead
Kolkata: A local Trinamool leader was shot dead by unidentified assailants in Canning town in South 24 Parganas district, some 50 km from here, police said on Saturday.
"Manik Paik was shot dead late Friday night at his residence in Canning by a group of people. We are investigating the matter. No arrests have been made in the case so far," Superintendent of Police, LN Meena said.
Paik, a panchayat head was shot in his sleep. While the local Trinamool Congress leaders pointed fingers at the Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) for the killing, the Marxists said it was the result of infighting in the Trinamool.
"We all know who are behind the killing. The CPI-M people have been targeting Paik for long and this time, they have been successful in eliminating him," Shaukat Molla, a local Trinamool leader said.
CPI-M leader Sujan Chakrabarty dismissed the allegation and said it was the result of infighting between two groups of the Trinamool Congress.
"That he (Paik) might get killed due to infighting in the Trinamool Congress was a known fact among the locals here. In fact, the electronic media has been widely reporting about the possibility," Chakrabarty told a Bengali news channel.
Paik`s son Mridul has filed an FIR against seven people for the killing of his father.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Lightning strikes German football pitch, 35 hurt, 3 seriously
- People's faith in our work renewed our vigour: PM Modi at India Gate
- IPL 2016: Virat Kohli praises rival captain David Warner, predicts tough final against Sunrisers Hyderabad
- OnePlus to open service centres in India, guarantees 1 hour turnaround time
- England vs Sri Lanka, 2nd Test: Chris Woakes, Moeen Ali pile pressure on visitors on Day 2