Trinamool Congress leader shot dead
Kolkata: A local Trinamool leader was shot dead by unidentified assailants in Canning town in South 24 Parganas district, some 50 km from here, police said on Saturday.
"Manik Paik was shot dead late Friday night at his residence in Canning by a group of people. We are investigating the matter. No arrests have been made in the case so far," Superintendent of Police, LN Meena said.
Paik, a panchayat head was shot in his sleep. While the local Trinamool Congress leaders pointed fingers at the Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) for the killing, the Marxists said it was the result of infighting in the Trinamool.
"We all know who are behind the killing. The CPI-M people have been targeting Paik for long and this time, they have been successful in eliminating him," Shaukat Molla, a local Trinamool leader said.
CPI-M leader Sujan Chakrabarty dismissed the allegation and said it was the result of infighting between two groups of the Trinamool Congress.
"That he (Paik) might get killed due to infighting in the Trinamool Congress was a known fact among the locals here. In fact, the electronic media has been widely reporting about the possibility," Chakrabarty told a Bengali news channel.
Paik`s son Mridul has filed an FIR against seven people for the killing of his father.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM