Trinamool Congress stakes claim to form govt in West Bengal
Kolkata: The Trinamool Congress on Sunday formally
staked claim to form government in West Bengal shortly after
Mamata Banerjee was elected Leader of its Legislature Party.
A four-member Trinamool Congress delegation met Governor M K Narayanan and submitted a list of 184 party MLAs staking
claim to form the government.
Trinamool Congress chief Banerjee was not in the
delegation as she had left for Delhi with Union Finance
Minister Pranab Mukherjee to invite Prime Minister Manmohan
Singh and Congress President Sonia Gandhi for the swearing-in
ceremony, the date of which has not yet been announced.
"We met the Governor and formally staked claim to form the
government," party MP Sultan Ahmed, who was in the delegation,
told reporters at Raj Bhavan.
Besides, Ahmed, newly-elected deputy leader of TC
Legislature Party Partha Chatterjee, and senior leaders
Subrata Mukherjee and Mukul Roy met the Governor.
Chatterjee said, "We have submitted the resolution passed
by the legislators electing Mamata Banerjee unanimously as the
Legislature Party leader.
"We have submitted a list containing signatures of 184
MLAs to the Governor," he said.
He said the Congress has already given a letter of support
to the party.
Earlier, Banerjee told a meeting of newly-elected TC
members that Congress and SUCI would be partners in the new
ministry, the size of which would be small.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!