Trinamool Congress stakes claim to form govt in West Bengal
Kolkata: The Trinamool Congress on Sunday formally
staked claim to form government in West Bengal shortly after
Mamata Banerjee was elected Leader of its Legislature Party.
A four-member Trinamool Congress delegation met Governor M K Narayanan and submitted a list of 184 party MLAs staking
claim to form the government.
Trinamool Congress chief Banerjee was not in the
delegation as she had left for Delhi with Union Finance
Minister Pranab Mukherjee to invite Prime Minister Manmohan
Singh and Congress President Sonia Gandhi for the swearing-in
ceremony, the date of which has not yet been announced.
"We met the Governor and formally staked claim to form the
government," party MP Sultan Ahmed, who was in the delegation,
told reporters at Raj Bhavan.
Besides, Ahmed, newly-elected deputy leader of TC
Legislature Party Partha Chatterjee, and senior leaders
Subrata Mukherjee and Mukul Roy met the Governor.
Chatterjee said, "We have submitted the resolution passed
by the legislators electing Mamata Banerjee unanimously as the
Legislature Party leader.
"We have submitted a list containing signatures of 184
MLAs to the Governor," he said.
He said the Congress has already given a letter of support
to the party.
Earlier, Banerjee told a meeting of newly-elected TC
members that Congress and SUCI would be partners in the new
ministry, the size of which would be small.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Four minors gang-rape teenage girl in Mumbai, circulate video on WhatsApp
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview