Trinamool Congress stakes claim to form govt in West Bengal
Kolkata: The Trinamool Congress on Sunday formally
staked claim to form government in West Bengal shortly after
Mamata Banerjee was elected Leader of its Legislature Party.
A four-member Trinamool Congress delegation met Governor M K Narayanan and submitted a list of 184 party MLAs staking
claim to form the government.
Trinamool Congress chief Banerjee was not in the
delegation as she had left for Delhi with Union Finance
Minister Pranab Mukherjee to invite Prime Minister Manmohan
Singh and Congress President Sonia Gandhi for the swearing-in
ceremony, the date of which has not yet been announced.
"We met the Governor and formally staked claim to form the
government," party MP Sultan Ahmed, who was in the delegation,
told reporters at Raj Bhavan.
Besides, Ahmed, newly-elected deputy leader of TC
Legislature Party Partha Chatterjee, and senior leaders
Subrata Mukherjee and Mukul Roy met the Governor.
Chatterjee said, "We have submitted the resolution passed
by the legislators electing Mamata Banerjee unanimously as the
Legislature Party leader.
"We have submitted a list containing signatures of 184
MLAs to the Governor," he said.
He said the Congress has already given a letter of support
to the party.
Earlier, Banerjee told a meeting of newly-elected TC
members that Congress and SUCI would be partners in the new
ministry, the size of which would be small.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Post Uri attack, India strengthens border surveillance along LOC
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray