Trinamool Congress to hit the streets against rail fare hike today
Zee Media Bureau
Kolkata: West Bengal`s ruling Trinamool Congress will hit the streets from Monday in protest against the recent hike in train fares.
On Sunday, Trinamool national general secretary Mukul Roy had announced that his party would organise a week-long agitation across the state where its MPs, legislators, office bearers and members of mass organisations affiliated to it would take part.
The party would hold a rally from College Square to Rani Rashmoni Avenue in central Kolkata at 2 pm today.
"We will protest through the week across the state. All our frontal organisations representing the students, youths, women and workers will be part of the agitation," added Roy.
The Communist Party of India-Marxist-led Left Front held protest demonstrations in a large number of railway stations of all the 19 districts on Saturday.
Leader of opposition in the state Assembly and CPI-M politburo member Surjya Kanta Mishra led the demonstrations at the crucial Howrah and Sealdah stations, accusing the BJP-led National Democratic Alliance regime in New Delhi of starting its journey by implementing "anti-people policies".
West Bengal Pradesh Congress chief and former minister of state for railways Adhir Ranjan Chowdhury lashed out at the NDA. "They have bypassed Parliament. The fairs have been increased through the back door. Prime Minister (Narendra) Modi had promised to usher in `acche din` (good days). But now it seems bad days are here."
Activists of the Socialist Unity Centre of India (Communist) staged a noisy demonstration outside the Raj Bhavan and clashed with police when the latter tried to stop them.
The government had on Friday raised the railway passenger fares by 14.2 percent in all classes and freight charge by 6.5 percent.
The new passenger fare and freight rates will come into effect from June 25.
(With IANS inputs)
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!