Trinamool-CPI (M) clash leaves one dead, 6 injured
Hooghly: One person was killed and six others including two policemen injured in a turf-war between activists of CPI(M) and Trinamool Congress here Thursday, police said.
While the dead was a supporter of Trinamool Congress, the four injured were CPI(M) supporters, they added.
Clashes started this morning in three villages under Khanakul, Arambagh and Purshura police stations, police said, adding guns, bombs, bows and arrows, and other improvised
firearms were used. Several houses were also ransacked.
Ananta Dalui, a 40-year-old agriculture labourer, was shot dead when he was working in a potato field at Chandraban village under Arambagh police station.
Sukomal Das, officer-in-charge of Khanakul police station, and a constable sustained bullet injuries when they went to Majhpur village, they said, adding both have been
admitted to hospital.
Four villagers, stated to be CPI(M) supporters, were also shot and injured at Majhpur.
Superintendent of Police Satyajit Bandyopadhyay told PTI that a large contingent of police went to the troubled villages and brought the situation under control.
Claiming that Dalui was their supporter, Trinamool district general secretary Dilip Yadav alleged that armed CPI(M) goons attacked their party supporters at their houses.
However, former Arambagh MP and CPI(M) state committee member Anil Basu denied the charges.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- IND vs AUS, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'
- Indian man Srinivas Kuchibhotla shot dead in Kansas bar while watching basketball game - Know what happened