Trinamool destroys democracy in academic institutions: CPI-M
Kolkata: Accusing the West Bengal government of failing to maintain conducive atmosphere in the academic institutions in the state, the CPI-M on Friday said that all elected bodies there had been dismissed arbitrarily and the posts allotted to supporters of Trinamool Congress.
CPI(M) state secretary Biman Bose told a rally that instead of establishing democracy in educational institutions, as promised before coming to power, the ruling party in reality dismissed all democratically-elected bodies and put their own men in those posts.
"During Left regime, there were frequent allegations that we had established `partycracy` in academic institutions and that they lacked democratic atmosphere. But what is happening now after TMC came to power in May 2011? All posts are alloted to supporters of Trinamool Congress," Bose, also the Left Front chairman, said.
Bose observed that proper education can never be imparted to students if an atmosphere of violence exists in schools, colleges and universities.
"The atmosphere has been vitiated by violence perpetuated by TMC supporters," Bose said.
Ridiculing Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee`s claim that 99 per cent of work she had promised before being installed in power had been completed, Bose demanded a Human Development Index survey to bring out the real situation of development in the state.
"Our chief minister is saying all work has been done. It is a lie. Let there be a Human Development Index survey in the state. It will bring out the real situation. Let there be a comparison between the first two and half years of Left regime and that of this Trinamool regime. People will know the truth," Bose asserted.
He also criticised Banerjee for tom-tomming about giving salaries to state government teachers on the first of every month, but pointed out that it had failed to give pension to retired teachers.
"She made an issue out of a non-issue. I want to ask the teachers do they really get their salaries on the first of every month?"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok