Trinamool keen on Gopal Gandhi for Vice President
New Delhi: Trinamool Congress is said to be keen on proposing the name of former West Bengal Governor Gopal Krishna Gandhi as its choice as the Vice Presidential candidate.
The name of Krishna Bose, former Lok Sabha member and niece of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose, is also being floated by the party, though Gandhi could be their prime choice, party sources said on Thursday.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh last night spoke to Trinamool Congress chief Mamata Banerjee, stepping up efforts to drum up support for Hamid Ansari for a second tenure in the post of Vice President, elections to which are scheduled for August 7.
However, there is strong speculation that Railway Minister Mukul Roy, who has been asked by Banerjee to attend the UPA meeting on Saturday, may propose that Gandhi be made the nominee of the ruling coalition for Vice President.
On the Presidential election, Trinamool Congress has said its would announce the party`s strategy three days ahead of the poll slated for July 19.
Trinamool Congress has maintained silence on whether it would support UPA nominee Pranab Mukherjee or abstain.
The party has asked all its MPs and MLAs to be present in Kolkata from July 16 onwards.
If it decides to vote, all the electors would exercise their franchise in Kolkata and has sought permission for this from the Secretary General of Rajya Sabha, who is the Returning Officer, the sources said.
They said the Trinamool Parliamentary Party would meet on July 17 in the eastern metropolis to decide on the Presidential poll.
Last evening, Singh spoke to the West Chief Minister, who was on a tour of North Bengal, after which Trinamool Congress decided to attend the July 14 meeting to decide on the Vice Presidential poll candidate. The last date for nomination for the Vice President election is July 20.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @ 12 pm
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Met Dawood Ibrahim in London, he wanted to return to India: Ram Jethmalani
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem