Trinamool leader asks workers to hurl bombs at cop
Kolkata: A leader of West Bengal`s ruling Trinamool Congress Wednesday courted controversy by exhorting his party workers to hurl bombs at police and damage houses of independent candidates fighting the panchayat polls.
"If independent candidates give threats, then damage and set fire to their houses," Trinamool Birbhum district president Anubrata Mondal said at a party rally.
Asking the people not to vote for independent candidates, many of whom are believed to be dissident Trinamool workers, Mandal said: "If the administration thinks of supporting the independents, then you hurl bombs at the police and the administration. I am telling you."
After television channels picked up Mandal`s statement and started airing it frequently, the opposition Communist Party of India-Marxist demanded his arrest.
"We have spoken to the State Election Commission on his speech. The SEC can always get the CD of what he said. He should be arrested," said CPI-M state secretariat member Rabin Deb.
Mandal had earlier grabbed the limelight by describing the Congress as a party of "beggars" and asking his workers not to allow rival party candidates to file nomination papers in the rural body polls.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India