Trinamool leader calls for burning `real` human effigies!
Kolkata: Even as the controversy surrounding Trinamool Congress MP Tapas Pal`s rape and kill remarks is yet to subside, a party legislator has now talked about burning "real human effigies".
Addressing a meet organised by the Trinamool affiliated Progressive Doctors` Association, its president and MLA Nirmal Majhi, Wednesday wondered if people would burn "real human effigies" of doctors, who earlier burnt dummies of the chief minister after three of their colleagues were suspended.
Blaming them for the raging encephalitis menace that has claimed more than 200 victims, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee July had suspended several health officials, including North Bengal Medical College and Hospital principal Anup Kumar Roy, who is also a member of the CPI-M affiliated Association of Health Service Doctors (AHSD).
"It is ok that Roy is a leader of the CPI-M`s AHSD, but he worked for only two days a week and spent rest of the week at home. When the administration took action against him, they are now burning the chief minister`s effigy.
"It is only to be seen if the people now burn real human effigies," Majhi said reacting to a protest meet by the suspended doctors demanding revocation of the action.
Suspended for allegedly not informing the government about the encephalitis outbreak on time, a section of doctors have been calling the action against Roy and others unjust and demanding revocation claiming the government was duly informed about the menace.
Majhi`s comments have been widely slammed by politicians and doctors.
"Now, we have a doctor leader who is prescribing to burn people. What more can you expect from the Trinamool which boasts the likes of Tapas Paul and other who are known more for their hate speeches," Communist Party of India-Marxist leader Sujon Chakraborty said.
Slamming Majhi, AHSD president Gautam Mukherjee said the comments were "unbecoming of a doctor".
State Bharatiya Janata Party president Rahul Sinha too condemned Majhi and said unless Paul was taken to task by the law, Trinamool leaders will continue making such remarks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi