Trinamool leader calls for burning `real` human effigies!
Kolkata: Even as the controversy surrounding Trinamool Congress MP Tapas Pal`s rape and kill remarks is yet to subside, a party legislator has now talked about burning "real human effigies".
Addressing a meet organised by the Trinamool affiliated Progressive Doctors` Association, its president and MLA Nirmal Majhi, Wednesday wondered if people would burn "real human effigies" of doctors, who earlier burnt dummies of the chief minister after three of their colleagues were suspended.
Blaming them for the raging encephalitis menace that has claimed more than 200 victims, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee July had suspended several health officials, including North Bengal Medical College and Hospital principal Anup Kumar Roy, who is also a member of the CPI-M affiliated Association of Health Service Doctors (AHSD).
"It is ok that Roy is a leader of the CPI-M`s AHSD, but he worked for only two days a week and spent rest of the week at home. When the administration took action against him, they are now burning the chief minister`s effigy.
"It is only to be seen if the people now burn real human effigies," Majhi said reacting to a protest meet by the suspended doctors demanding revocation of the action.
Suspended for allegedly not informing the government about the encephalitis outbreak on time, a section of doctors have been calling the action against Roy and others unjust and demanding revocation claiming the government was duly informed about the menace.
Majhi`s comments have been widely slammed by politicians and doctors.
"Now, we have a doctor leader who is prescribing to burn people. What more can you expect from the Trinamool which boasts the likes of Tapas Paul and other who are known more for their hate speeches," Communist Party of India-Marxist leader Sujon Chakraborty said.
Slamming Majhi, AHSD president Gautam Mukherjee said the comments were "unbecoming of a doctor".
State Bharatiya Janata Party president Rahul Sinha too condemned Majhi and said unless Paul was taken to task by the law, Trinamool leaders will continue making such remarks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter