Trinamool leader held for brandishing gun in WB
Kolkata: A local Trinamool Congress (TMC) leader Ashish Dey, who was caught on camera threatening the staff of a private hospital at gun point, has been arrested by the West Bengal police on Monday.
A local court here sent Dey to a five-day police custody.
According to reports, Dey had on Friday threatened the staff of a private hospital in Birbhum since he was upset with the appointment of a doctor there.
Eyewitnesses claim that Dey was allegedly angry with the development and came to the hospital accompanied by TMC workers and student-wing activists to threaten the staff there.
Dey, who is the TMC`s district secretary, was carrying a gun and caught on CCTV threatening hospital managing director JP Khaitan following a verbal spat.
Khaitan later told reporters that Dey first entered in a verbal duel with the hospital employees, who repeatedly pleaded with him and his supporters to leave the hospital premises.
"Dey then suddenly whipped out a revolver and threatened our staff,” he added.
"Expressing shock over the `incident`, TMC MP Shatabdi Roy said, "Ashish Dey is no more with our party. He was suspended a couple of years back."
When quizzed whether some TMC leaders were still aiding him, Roy said "This man is damaging the image of TMC. I would request everyone belonging to our organisation not to associate with such a person."
"Dey was suspended from the party by General Secretary Mukul Roy a couple of years back,” the TMC MP said.
Meanwhile, Dey rejected all allegations against him.
News agency ANI quoted him as saying, “I have been falsely implicated, I trust the judiciary, local MLA is mad.”
With PTI Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves