Trinamool leader held for brandishing gun in WB
Kolkata: A local Trinamool Congress (TMC) leader Ashish Dey, who was caught on camera threatening the staff of a private hospital at gun point, has been arrested by the West Bengal police on Monday.
A local court here sent Dey to a five-day police custody.
According to reports, Dey had on Friday threatened the staff of a private hospital in Birbhum since he was upset with the appointment of a doctor there.
Eyewitnesses claim that Dey was allegedly angry with the development and came to the hospital accompanied by TMC workers and student-wing activists to threaten the staff there.
Dey, who is the TMC`s district secretary, was carrying a gun and caught on CCTV threatening hospital managing director JP Khaitan following a verbal spat.
Khaitan later told reporters that Dey first entered in a verbal duel with the hospital employees, who repeatedly pleaded with him and his supporters to leave the hospital premises.
"Dey then suddenly whipped out a revolver and threatened our staff,” he added.
"Expressing shock over the `incident`, TMC MP Shatabdi Roy said, "Ashish Dey is no more with our party. He was suspended a couple of years back."
When quizzed whether some TMC leaders were still aiding him, Roy said "This man is damaging the image of TMC. I would request everyone belonging to our organisation not to associate with such a person."
"Dey was suspended from the party by General Secretary Mukul Roy a couple of years back,” the TMC MP said.
Meanwhile, Dey rejected all allegations against him.
News agency ANI quoted him as saying, “I have been falsely implicated, I trust the judiciary, local MLA is mad.”
With PTI Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!