Trinamool leader held for brandishing gun in WB
Kolkata: A local Trinamool Congress (TMC) leader Ashish Dey, who was caught on camera threatening the staff of a private hospital at gun point, has been arrested by the West Bengal police on Monday.
A local court here sent Dey to a five-day police custody.
According to reports, Dey had on Friday threatened the staff of a private hospital in Birbhum since he was upset with the appointment of a doctor there.
Eyewitnesses claim that Dey was allegedly angry with the development and came to the hospital accompanied by TMC workers and student-wing activists to threaten the staff there.
Dey, who is the TMC`s district secretary, was carrying a gun and caught on CCTV threatening hospital managing director JP Khaitan following a verbal spat.
Khaitan later told reporters that Dey first entered in a verbal duel with the hospital employees, who repeatedly pleaded with him and his supporters to leave the hospital premises.
"Dey then suddenly whipped out a revolver and threatened our staff,” he added.
"Expressing shock over the `incident`, TMC MP Shatabdi Roy said, "Ashish Dey is no more with our party. He was suspended a couple of years back."
When quizzed whether some TMC leaders were still aiding him, Roy said "This man is damaging the image of TMC. I would request everyone belonging to our organisation not to associate with such a person."
"Dey was suspended from the party by General Secretary Mukul Roy a couple of years back,” the TMC MP said.
Meanwhile, Dey rejected all allegations against him.
News agency ANI quoted him as saying, “I have been falsely implicated, I trust the judiciary, local MLA is mad.”
With PTI Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Will wipe out BJP and Congress from the country: Akbaruddin Owaisi
- Ahead of 'Kashmir Solidarity Day', Hafiz Saeed's JuD releases controversial video featuring Pakistani Army chief
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- Ten Army soldiers missing in Siachen avalanche presumed dead; PM Modi 'salutes' martyrs
- Ravindra Jadeja: Indian all-rounder to get engaged today