Trinamool MLA beats up auto drivers in Kolkata
Kolkata: After trouble from her nephew Akash, who was arrested for assaulting a cop, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee would now have to explain the conduct of one of her MLAs.
Reports, Tuesday, claimed that Trinamool Congress Phulbagan MLA Paresh Pal was seen beating and roughing up several auto drivers after they went on a rampage in different parts of Kolkata to protest hike in fuel prices.
As per the eye witnesses, the incident took place shortly after the auto rickshaw drivers went on a strike, bringing the rush hour traffic to a halt in major part of the city.
The three-wheeler operators blocked roads at Kankurgachi, Phulbagan and Hudco crossing in north Kolkata and at Rashbehari crossing in the southern part of the city.
The agitating auto rickshaw drivers pelted stones on buses and forced passengers, including school children and elders, to disembark.
At Phulbagan, TMC MLA Paresh Pal encountered the agitating auto rickshaw drivers and asked them to lift the blockade.
When the auto drivers refused to do so, a visibly angry TMC MLA then started beating the three-wheeler drivers.
The situation was soon brought under control after police intervened in the matter.
However, no arrest has been made in this regard so far.
Meanwhile, the roadblocks, which began at around 10 am in the peak office hours, have been lifted, and the traffic situation is slowly returning to normal in the affected areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!