Trinamool MP Somen Mitra quits LS, to join Congress
New Delhi: Dissident Trinamool Congress MP Somen Mitra on Wednesday resigned from Lok Sabha giving effect to his plans to join Congress ahead of the general election this year.
"I have submitted my resignation letter to the honourable Lok Sabha speaker," Mitra said soon after meeting Speaker Meira Kumar. He represents Diamond Harbour Lok Sabha constituency in West Bengal.
Mitra, a former state Chief of the Congress, has been openly criticising the Trinamool Congress leadership and has made it clear that he will return to his parent party.
He also opposed any alliance with Mamata Banerjee`s party in the upcoming Lok Sabha polls. Asked whether Sikha Mitra, his wife and Trinamool MLA will also quit and join Congress, he said, "I will join Congress alone and not take anybody with me. It will depend on individual decision."
Sikha was the first to raise a banner of revolt against the Trinamool Congress leadership. Mitra had earlier said he would publicly let everyone know in detail the reasons and circumstances behind the decision to quit the Trinamool Congress.
He had attacked the ruling party in West Bengal for "lack of unfulfilled promises" made to the people. Mitra had joined the Trinamool Congress at the height of Singur agitation led by Banerjee during the Left Front rule.
His decision to join Congress came just ahead of the crucial AICC session here on January 17 when the party will discuss its strategy for the Lok Sabha polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Parties should be united against terrorism, says Rajnath Singh
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez