Trinamool not to fight against Congress in Jangipur bypoll
Jangipur: Despite severing of ties between both the parties, the Trinamool Congress didn`t put up any candidate for the Jangipur bypoll against Congress nominee Abhijit Mukherjee, son of President Pranab Mukherjee.
Trinamool district president Md Ali said, "This was Pranab babu`s seat. And the candidate now is his son so as a mark of respect to the President, we didn`t put up any candidate".
Although BJP`s Sudhanshu Biswas is also in the fray, the contest would be virtually between CPI(M)`s Muzaffar Hussain and Abhijit Mukherjee.
Altogether eleven candidates have filed their papers for the assembly seat, official sources said.
The last date for filing nomination ended yesterday while the last date for withdrawal is September 26.
The election would take place on October 10.
Bypoll for the Jangipur Lok Sabha seat was necessitated after Pranab Mukherjee resigned his seat to contest for the post of President of India.
Pranab had first won from the Jangipur Lok Sabha seat in 2004 and was re-elected in 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!