Trinamool not to fight against Congress in Jangipur bypoll
Jangipur: Despite severing of ties between both the parties, the Trinamool Congress didn`t put up any candidate for the Jangipur bypoll against Congress nominee Abhijit Mukherjee, son of President Pranab Mukherjee.
Trinamool district president Md Ali said, "This was Pranab babu`s seat. And the candidate now is his son so as a mark of respect to the President, we didn`t put up any candidate".
Although BJP`s Sudhanshu Biswas is also in the fray, the contest would be virtually between CPI(M)`s Muzaffar Hussain and Abhijit Mukherjee.
Altogether eleven candidates have filed their papers for the assembly seat, official sources said.
The last date for filing nomination ended yesterday while the last date for withdrawal is September 26.
The election would take place on October 10.
Bypoll for the Jangipur Lok Sabha seat was necessitated after Pranab Mukherjee resigned his seat to contest for the post of President of India.
Pranab had first won from the Jangipur Lok Sabha seat in 2004 and was re-elected in 2009.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- It's a reality, Muslim youths from South India more attracted to ISIS: Kiren Rijiju
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- PM Narendra Modi meets journalists at Diwali Milan