Trinamool not to fight against Congress in Jangipur bypoll
Jangipur: Despite severing of ties between both the parties, the Trinamool Congress didn`t put up any candidate for the Jangipur bypoll against Congress nominee Abhijit Mukherjee, son of President Pranab Mukherjee.
Trinamool district president Md Ali said, "This was Pranab babu`s seat. And the candidate now is his son so as a mark of respect to the President, we didn`t put up any candidate".
Although BJP`s Sudhanshu Biswas is also in the fray, the contest would be virtually between CPI(M)`s Muzaffar Hussain and Abhijit Mukherjee.
Altogether eleven candidates have filed their papers for the assembly seat, official sources said.
The last date for filing nomination ended yesterday while the last date for withdrawal is September 26.
The election would take place on October 10.
Bypoll for the Jangipur Lok Sabha seat was necessitated after Pranab Mukherjee resigned his seat to contest for the post of President of India.
Pranab had first won from the Jangipur Lok Sabha seat in 2004 and was re-elected in 2009.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?