Trinamool opposes move to abolish Planning Commission
Kolkata: Trinamool Congress on Sunday opposed the Centre`s move to abolish Planning Commission, saying the party did not believe that such an institution could be abolished "like this".
"Suddenly on August 15, Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced the abolition of Planning Commission in his Independence Day address to the nation from Red Fort. An institution like the Planning Commission cannot be abolished like this," Sudip Bandopadhyay, leader of Trinamool Congress Parliamentary Party in the Lok Sabha, said.
"The reason for the proposed winding up was not explained categorically, nor was it discussed in Parliament," he said. "Trinamool Congress opposes the move," he said.
"All political parties` opinion should be taken and the matter should be debated on the floor of the House," he said.
The Prime Minister had on August 15 said that a new institution would soon be set up in place of Planning Commission.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Really? Katrina Kaif rebuffs breaking up with Ranbir Kapoor?
- ISI plotted 26/11 Mumbai attacks with Pakistan govt's support, says David Headley