Trinamool opposing central forces to slaughter democracy: Congress
Kolkata: The Congress on Friday accused the Trinamool Congress-led West Bengal government of seeking to prevent the deployment of central paramilitary forces for the upcoming panchayat elections as it will hinder its intention of "slaughtering democracy".
"It is not possible to slaughter democracy in presence of the central forces which they (Trinamool) intend to do. So, they are trying to avoid their deployment," state Congress president Pradip Bhattacharya said here.
He said that despite the central government assuring the availability of the paramilitary force, the state has not responded back with its requirement.
"The union home minister (Sushilkumar Shinde) has told Banerjee the centre was ready to provide the forces and sought details from her about the requirement. But the attitude of the government is as if they don`t need the central forces," said Bhattacharya.
Citing examples of attacks on his party leaders and workers across the state in the wake of the rural polls, he asked the State Election Commission (SEC) to look into the matter.
"We demand the SEC to make security arrangements, as without it free and fair polls cannot be conducted," he said.
He said in recent past, many Congress leaders were attacked as some political parties do not like it that the Congress is standing to safeguard democracy in the state.
Bhattacharya said he will submit a letter to the SEC complaining about the violence unleashed on his party members.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader