Trinamool stays away from poll panel meeting
Kolkata: Accusing the State Election Commission (SEC) of taking unilateral decisions, West Bengal`s ruling Trinamool Congress on Saturday stayed away from an all-party meeting called by the panel on the upcoming panchayat polls.
"Yesterday (Friday) itself we had faxed her (State Election Commissioner Mira Pande) that we won`t attend the meeting. She has been taking unilateral decisions on the polls. Her attitude is discourteous," Trinamool secretary general and Parliamentary Affairs Minister Partha Chatterjee told the media.
"She fixed June 29 as the date for counting of votes on her own. Had we attended that would have amounted to giving our stamp of approval to the unilateral decisions she has been taking," he added.
Chatterjee, however, said his party was for peaceful polls.
"We appeal to all to ensure peaceful polls," he said.
All opposition parties including the Congress, the Communist Party of India-Marxist led Left Front and the Bharatiya Janata Party attended the meeting that started half an hour late as the Trinamool members did not turn up.
Relations between the Trinamool Congress government and the SEC have nosedived over the past three months over a plethora of issues concerning the panchayat polls. With the two locked in tussles over the right to announce the poll schedule and arrangement for adequate security.
The matters reached the court, and finally the Supreme Court announced five-phase polling July 11, 15, 19, 22 and 25.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan