Trinamool students demonstrate at Gour Banga varsity in Malda
Malda: Students owing allegiance to Trinamool Congress on Friday demonstrated at the Gour Banga University in the district to protest the prolonged absence of Vice Chancellor Dr Achinta Biswas.
They also locked up the offices of the university in protest, university officials said.
The officials, on condition of anonymity, alleged that Biswas was often absent since his appointment as vice chancellor on May 14 last year, jeopardizing examinations and administrative work.
They said that on one occasion he had been absent for 65 days starting from April 28, forcing the administration to appoint senior professor Bikas Ray to take temporary charge.
Biswas, on his part said, that he would reply to the complaints made by the state Higher Education Department and that he had met Governor MK Narayanan, who is the Chancellor, but the agitation by the students was wrong.
He said he was keeping unwell and had always taken permission for leave from the Governor which was granted.
Registrar Shyamsundar Bairagya confirmed that the VC had been on leave because of illness and had informed the chancellor about it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar Class 10th Result 2016, BSEB 10th Result 2016: Bihar Board Matric Class 10 Results 2016 (biharboard.bih.nic.in) to be declared today on May 29
- Kiran Bedi to assume charge as Lt Governor of Puducherry today
- Trials of Talgo train to commence today: Know more about it
- Cristiano Ronaldo strikes shoot-out winner as Real Madrid crowned kings of Europe
- Pakistan had achieved nuclear capability in 1984: Abdul Qadeer Khan