Trinamool tried to scuttle Panchayat polls: Karat
Kolkata: Terming that the democracy is under attack in West Bengal, CPI(M) general secretary Prakash Karat on Monday alleged that Trinamool Congress had tried to "scuttle" panchayat elections in the state.
"The spirit of democracy in West Bengal is under attack now. We are in the midst of panchayat election, an election which was tried to be scuttled and sabotaged by the powers who are ruling West Bengal," Karat said while addressing a program to felicitate the birth centenary of Marxist patriarch Jyoti Basu.
"I am sure the people of West Bengal, the Left and democratic forces will fight back against this attempt to weaken democracy," he said.
The coming panchayat polls had become a bone of contention between State Election Commission and Trinamool Congress-led state government, as both of them moved the court over the holding of the elections.
The Supreme Court last week fixed the dates of poll for July 11, 15, 19, 22 and 25 and turned down the plea of the state government and some NGOs seeking to reschedule the dates to keep the election process before or after Ramzan month which will start from July 10 and end on August 9.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Sonakshi Sinha apologises to Sarabjit, accused in Tilak Nagar case
- Twists and turns: Possible theories about Sheena Bora's murder
- DNA: With new facts emerging, Sheena Bora's murder mystery further deepens
- Sheena Bora murder: Mikhail to be brought to Mumbai for questioning
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Sheena Bora murder case: When Indrani Mukerjea broke down during questioning
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past