Trinamool urges Centre to act on WB`s debt
Kolkata: Trinamool Congress on Wednesday demanded
Centre`s intervention in West Bengal claiming the state`s debt
has touched a whopping Rs 1,96,000 crore from 12,000 crore in 1977, when the Left Front came to power.
Trinamool Congress leader Partha Chatterjee made the demand after the state government admitted drawing overdrafts to meet the financial situation.
"The Centre should take note of the internal economic
emergency which is prevailing in West Bengal due to
bankruptcy," Chatterjee said.
"The financial position of the state government is bleak
and there is hardly any fund for capital investment
development. The situation has come to such a pass that for
the past few days the government has been running on
overdraft," the Leader of the Opposition said in a letter to
Governor M K Narayanan.
The TC said he has urged the governor to order an inquiry into alleged corrupt practices and financial irregularities by
the state government.
Chatterjee also urged the bureaucracy not to accord approval to any financial proposal in view of the serious financial crisis.
Any financial proposal signed at this stage will be
brought under the scanner by the next government, he said.
Finance minister Asim Dasgupta had alleged yesterday that
the Centre was not parting with Rs 4833 crore due to the state
as coal royalty because of which the state was facing some
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?