Trinamool urges President to remove Ganguly if he does not quit
Kolkata: The Trinamool Congress on Monday upped the pressure on former Supreme Court judge A K Ganguly, accused of sexually harassing a law intern, saying he should resign from the post of the West Bengal Human Rights Commission chief or else the President should remove him.
"He should resign, or else President Pranab Mukherjee should remove him," TMC general secretary Mukul Roy said.
Roy said the West Bengal Chief Minister has written twice to the President seeking strong action against Ganguly.
The pressure on Ganguly to resign further mounted after excerpts of an affidavit by the law intern was made public by Additional Solicitor General Indira Jaising.
The girl, who had graduated from a Kolkata law school, had in an affidavit before a three-judge panel of the apex court gave a detailed account of what happened to her in a Delhi hotel room on 24 December, 2012 when she was called by the judge at night.
The committee had indicted the former judge for `unwelcome behaviour` and `conduct of sexual nature` towards the girl who was then working as a law intern with him.
Ganguly has so far denied all allegations against him and ruled out resigning as the head of the state human rights commission.
Several women rights activists, leaders from the BJP and the TMC have been vocal demanding his removal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?