Trinamool withdraws support to Congress-led civic body
Siliguri (WB): Trinamool Congress on Monday withdrew support to Congress-led civic body in Siliguri, West Bengal`s key commercial town, resulting in failure to pass the budget for current year 2013.
Senior Trinamool councillor Krishnachandra Pal announced his party was taking back support to the alliance-run civic board after Congress councillors created a ruckus in the House demanding the budget be considered as passed.
Even as the din increased, Chairman Nantu Pal tabled the budget for voting and all the 14 Trinamool councillors voted against it.
Congress councillors maintained since they were numerically higher--15--and already publicly supported the budget there was no need for them to formally cast votes and it should be technically considered passed.
In the melee, the Chairman announced the budget could not be passed today.
In the 47-seat SMC, Congress has 15 members, TMC 14 and CPI(M) 17. With the resignation of the ward number 21 TMC councillor three years ago, the seat fell vacant with no by-poll having taken place since then.
Congress sources said the civic board was not in danger and the budget could again be taken up later.
However, Trinamool Congress alleged Congress has lost the right to run the corporation any more.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read