Triple murder: Court seeks Bengal view on CBI probe
Kolkata: The Calcutta High Court on Tuesday sought the West Bengal government`s stand on a petition seeking CBI probe into a triple murder in Birbhum district.
Manirul Islam, an MLA of the ruling Trinamool Congress, is the prime accused in the murders.
The plea was filed by the victims` family before the court of Justice Dipankar Dutta, seeking a probe by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) into the 2010 killings of three brothers in Labhpur of the district.
While Labhpur legislator Islam was named in the first information report (FIR) filed after the killings, his name was subsequently dropped from the charge sheet filed four years later.
Incidentally, Islam in July 2013 publicly admitted to committing the murders.
"I have crushed three people to death with my feet," Islam boasted in his address at a party rally that was video-graphed and widely broadcast and reported upon.
"Justice Dutta Monday watched the video in detail, and today (Tuesday) we submitted a transcript of Islam`s speech in the video. The court has directed the state government to state its stand about the petition in an affidavit by Aug 1," said Subrata Mukherjee, counsel for the petitioner.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez