Triple murder: Court seeks Bengal view on CBI probe
Kolkata: The Calcutta High Court on Tuesday sought the West Bengal government`s stand on a petition seeking CBI probe into a triple murder in Birbhum district.
Manirul Islam, an MLA of the ruling Trinamool Congress, is the prime accused in the murders.
The plea was filed by the victims` family before the court of Justice Dipankar Dutta, seeking a probe by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) into the 2010 killings of three brothers in Labhpur of the district.
While Labhpur legislator Islam was named in the first information report (FIR) filed after the killings, his name was subsequently dropped from the charge sheet filed four years later.
Incidentally, Islam in July 2013 publicly admitted to committing the murders.
"I have crushed three people to death with my feet," Islam boasted in his address at a party rally that was video-graphed and widely broadcast and reported upon.
"Justice Dutta Monday watched the video in detail, and today (Tuesday) we submitted a transcript of Islam`s speech in the video. The court has directed the state government to state its stand about the petition in an affidavit by Aug 1," said Subrata Mukherjee, counsel for the petitioner.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt