Truth behind hooch - Glass of death at Rs10!
Diamond Harbour (West Bengal): A glass of liquor for just Rs.10! The allure of extremely cheap country liquor after a hard day`s toil was too much to resist, and hundreds consumed the spurious moonshine in a West Bengal village, leading to nearly 150 deaths.
Sangrampur, a sleepy village in North 24 Parganas` Diamond Harbour, has since Wednesday witnessed at least 143 deaths in a hooch tragedy. The flourishing spurious liquor business was transacted mostly inside shanties.
While the wholesale rate of the drink is Rs.10 a litre, the retailers who procure it in jars of 35 litres each, sell the spirit to the consumers at Rs.10 a glass or in small plastic pouches for Rs.20. The liqor was allegedly mixed with a chemical that turned poisonous, leading to the deaths.
Heaps of the pouches, plastic glasses and jars were scattered in over a dozen shanties where the worst hooch tragedy in West Bengal took place. The victims were labourers, hawkers and rickshaw pullers belonging to the lower strata of society.
Scores of people are battling for their lives in various hospitals, and the toll is likely to go up.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- After prayers at Jagannath Temple, PM Narendra Modi inaugurates IOCL project at Paradip refinery