TV serial motivates students to kill schoolmate, demand ransom
Malda: Five students allegedly kidnapped a junior schoolmate in Malda district, murdered him and then demanded ransom from the victim`s father -- all after watching a TV serial, the police said on Friday.
The five studying in classes XI and XII kidnapped a student of class VII of their own school at Bamangola on Tuesday, took him to an abandoned house where they murdered him and then called up his wealthy father to demand a ransom of Rs 10 lakh.
They asked the victim`s father to bring the ransom money to a spot at Kendpukur in Bamangola the next day. The father, after informing the police, went to the directed place.
The police arrested two of the boys from there and found the victim`s body. After questioning the two, three more students were arrested, the sources said.
The arrested students revealed during interrogation that they had planned it after watching a television serial, the sources said.
When produced before a local court during the day, the five were remanded to 10 days police custody.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore