Two-day taxi strike in Kolkata from June 6
Kolkata: Commuters in Kolkata will face a tough time on the roads with the biggest union of taxi operators calling a 48-hour strike from June 6 demanding enhanced night charges.
The government recently announced that commuters would have to pay 15 percent as night charges between 10.30 pm and 6 am
However, Bengal Taxi Association president Bimal Guha called the charges inadequate, and demanded they be raised to 30 percent between 8 pm and 6 am
"In support of our demand, we have decided to call a 48-hour strike from 6 am on June 6," Guha said.
He also demanded that the government ensure other public transport like autorickshaws do not carry passengers in excess of their capacity.
"If the government does not pay heed to our demand, we will call a 72-hour strike later," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- Memorial for India's 'missile man': Naidu, Parrikar unveil statue of APJ Abdul Kalam in Rameswaram
- Aamir Khan turns host for team 'Dangal'!
- No curfew in Srinagar, continues in south Kashmir
- Cockroach milk – The next big 'superfood' and a fantastic protein supplement?
- NASA explains the case of Ceres' missing large craters- Watch the video!