Two-day taxi strike in Kolkata from June 6
Kolkata: Commuters in Kolkata will face a tough time on the roads with the biggest union of taxi operators calling a 48-hour strike from June 6 demanding enhanced night charges.
The government recently announced that commuters would have to pay 15 percent as night charges between 10.30 pm and 6 am
However, Bengal Taxi Association president Bimal Guha called the charges inadequate, and demanded they be raised to 30 percent between 8 pm and 6 am
"In support of our demand, we have decided to call a 48-hour strike from 6 am on June 6," Guha said.
He also demanded that the government ensure other public transport like autorickshaws do not carry passengers in excess of their capacity.
"If the government does not pay heed to our demand, we will call a 72-hour strike later," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands