Two-day taxi strike in Kolkata from June 6
Kolkata: Commuters in Kolkata will face a tough time on the roads with the biggest union of taxi operators calling a 48-hour strike from June 6 demanding enhanced night charges.
The government recently announced that commuters would have to pay 15 percent as night charges between 10.30 pm and 6 am
However, Bengal Taxi Association president Bimal Guha called the charges inadequate, and demanded they be raised to 30 percent between 8 pm and 6 am
"In support of our demand, we have decided to call a 48-hour strike from 6 am on June 6," Guha said.
He also demanded that the government ensure other public transport like autorickshaws do not carry passengers in excess of their capacity.
"If the government does not pay heed to our demand, we will call a 72-hour strike later," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read