Two-day taxi strike in Kolkata from June 6
Kolkata: Commuters in Kolkata will face a tough time on the roads with the biggest union of taxi operators calling a 48-hour strike from June 6 demanding enhanced night charges.
The government recently announced that commuters would have to pay 15 percent as night charges between 10.30 pm and 6 am
However, Bengal Taxi Association president Bimal Guha called the charges inadequate, and demanded they be raised to 30 percent between 8 pm and 6 am
"In support of our demand, we have decided to call a 48-hour strike from 6 am on June 6," Guha said.
He also demanded that the government ensure other public transport like autorickshaws do not carry passengers in excess of their capacity.
"If the government does not pay heed to our demand, we will call a 72-hour strike later," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch