Two-day taxi strike in Kolkata from June 6
Kolkata: Commuters in Kolkata will face a tough time on the roads with the biggest union of taxi operators calling a 48-hour strike from June 6 demanding enhanced night charges.
The government recently announced that commuters would have to pay 15 percent as night charges between 10.30 pm and 6 am
However, Bengal Taxi Association president Bimal Guha called the charges inadequate, and demanded they be raised to 30 percent between 8 pm and 6 am
"In support of our demand, we have decided to call a 48-hour strike from 6 am on June 6," Guha said.
He also demanded that the government ensure other public transport like autorickshaws do not carry passengers in excess of their capacity.
"If the government does not pay heed to our demand, we will call a 72-hour strike later," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi