Two dead in Malda flood
Malda: Two persons drowned and another went missing in incidents of boat capsize in the Malda district of West Bengal on Monday.
District Magistrate G Kiran Kumar said two members of a marriage party drowned when the boat carrying 22 people capsized in the swollen Tangon river near Babughat at Gajole.
While 20 of them swam ashore, the body of one of them was found later. Search is on for the missing person.
An old woman died in yet another incident of boat capsize in Phulahar river when her family was shifting their belongings after their house was inundated at Harishchandrapur, Kumar said.
Meanwhile, the flood situation in the district, where 11000 have been affected by the floods, remained unchanged though the water level of Mahananda river is on the rise following heavy rains in north Bengal.
The district magistrate said the water level of Ganga was constant and that of Phulahar had subsided a little, though it was flowing above the danger mark.
The relief distribution is on on a war footing, he added.
- Jat leaders to hold ‘jail bharo’ movement in Haryana today, section 144 imposed in Jind
- PM Modi to launch solar-powered boats in Varanasi today, visit to Ballia also on cards
- Uttarakhand forest fire: Director of Delhi's Fire Dept to visit hill state today, govt to press MI-17 choppers; at least 6 dead
- First phase of NEET examination today as Supreme Court says allow exam to be held
- Andhra Pradesh to become first 'Open Defecation Free' state