Two dead in Malda flood
Malda: Two persons drowned and another went missing in incidents of boat capsize in the Malda district of West Bengal on Monday.
District Magistrate G Kiran Kumar said two members of a marriage party drowned when the boat carrying 22 people capsized in the swollen Tangon river near Babughat at Gajole.
While 20 of them swam ashore, the body of one of them was found later. Search is on for the missing person.
An old woman died in yet another incident of boat capsize in Phulahar river when her family was shifting their belongings after their house was inundated at Harishchandrapur, Kumar said.
Meanwhile, the flood situation in the district, where 11000 have been affected by the floods, remained unchanged though the water level of Mahananda river is on the rise following heavy rains in north Bengal.
The district magistrate said the water level of Ganga was constant and that of Phulahar had subsided a little, though it was flowing above the danger mark.
The relief distribution is on on a war footing, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof