Two feared drowned in canal, mob damages fire tender
Bolpur (WB): Two persons, including a teenaged boy, were feared drowned in a canal following which locals turned their ire on fire brigade personnel damaging a vehicle for their alleged failure to rescue the duo at Santiniketan in Birbhum district late tonight.
The mob also pelted stones as a police team went to the spot to pacify the villagers prompting action by the cops, a senior police officer said, adding six persons were subsequently arrested for rioting.
15-year old Sk Sonu slipped into the swollen irrigation canal at around 9:30 pm and though a fire brigade arrived at the spot, it could not undertake rescue operation due to darkness and lack of equipment.
Soon three other locals joined rescue work but one of them Sufal Soren could not come out of the canal.
This infuriated the mob which then damaged the fire brigade vehicle and brickbatted the police.
Personnel of RAF were patrolling the area.
Search and rescue operations would resume tomorrow morning for the two missing, the officer said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city