Two feared drowned in canal, mob damages fire tender
Bolpur (WB): Two persons, including a teenaged boy, were feared drowned in a canal following which locals turned their ire on fire brigade personnel damaging a vehicle for their alleged failure to rescue the duo at Santiniketan in Birbhum district late tonight.
The mob also pelted stones as a police team went to the spot to pacify the villagers prompting action by the cops, a senior police officer said, adding six persons were subsequently arrested for rioting.
15-year old Sk Sonu slipped into the swollen irrigation canal at around 9:30 pm and though a fire brigade arrived at the spot, it could not undertake rescue operation due to darkness and lack of equipment.
Soon three other locals joined rescue work but one of them Sufal Soren could not come out of the canal.
This infuriated the mob which then damaged the fire brigade vehicle and brickbatted the police.
Personnel of RAF were patrolling the area.
Search and rescue operations would resume tomorrow morning for the two missing, the officer said.
- Harish Rawat virtually admits his presence in 'sting CD', but says meeting journalist is not crime
- Refrain from using adulterated eye makeup, warn doctors
- Eight coaches of Delhi-Faizabad Express derails in Hapur district
- No difference between LF, TMC regimes: Rajnath Singh
- BJP complains to EC of violence after 5th phase polls