Two Maoist rebels arrested in West Bengal
Kolkata: Two suspected Maoist guerrillas were arrested by security forces from Maoist-affected areas of West Midnapore and Bankura districts in West Bengal, police said Friday.
Maoist rebel Dilip Hembram was arrested from Koyena village in Sarenga of Bankura district Thursday night.
Bankura Superintendent of Police Pranav Kumar told IANS over phone: "Acting on a tip-off that Dilip had taken shelter in Sarenga, we conducted a search operation and arrested him from Koyena village."
A firearm and several rounds of ammunition were recovered from him, he added.
"Dilip was a resident of Keshiara in Goaltore area of West Midnapore district. He was accused in several cases including murder, sedition and robbery," said the police chief.
"Dilip was produced before Khatra sub-divisional court today and remanded to police custody for seven days," Kumar said.
Another Maoist activist Bullet Mahato was arrested by Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) and police during a joint operation from Buripala area of Lalgarh in West Midnapore district late Thursday night.
However, a senior police official on condition of anonymity said that local people with the help of some Communist Party of India-Marxist (CPI-M) supporters detained Mahato from Pirakata and handed him over to police Thursday afternoon.
West Midnapore Deputy Superintendent of Police (Operation) Aneesh Sarkar said: "Mahato`s arrest will help us to get information about the other members of the group active in the Kalshibangha area for the past few weeks."
"He was presented in the Chief Judicial Magistrate`s (CJM) court in Midnapore today and remanded to five-day police custody," added Sarkar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- Neymar, Douglas Costa named in Brazil's Olympic squad
- Germany desperate to rewrite history against Italy in Euro 2016 quarter-final
- Playing with lives of soldiers? Jawans in Siachen may have been given substandard snow suits to fight -60 deg C
- Euro 2016: Spain veteran Iker Casillas hints at retirement after team's defeat against Italy
- Jailed ex-MP Shahabuddin shifted to AIIMS