Two more AMRI directors get bail
Kolkata: Directors of AMRI Hospital Manish
Goenka and Ravi Todi were on Monday granted bail by the Calcutta
High Court in connection with the December 9 hospital fire
that killed 90 persons, mostly patients.
Goenka and Todi, who were in custody for 116 days, were
granted bail by a division bench comprising justices Ashim
Kumar Roy and Asim Kumar Ray.
Lawyers for the two submitted that investigation in the
case was complete and charge sheet submitted by the police and
they should be granted bail pending trial in the case.
Of the 16 accused in the case, 12 were directors and the
rest senior officials of the hospital.All of them were charged
with culpable homicide not amounting to murder.
So far, six of the accused, including five directors,
have already been granted bail.
Dr Moni Chhetri, the managing director of the hospital
who holds the license for the hospital, was given bail by a
trial court, apart from Dr Pranab Dasgupta and senior vice
president Satyabrata Upadhyay.
Director RS Agarwal was granted bail by the high court
along with RS Goenka and Prashant Goenka on March 28.
Three board members -- Aditya Agarwal, Preeti Surekha and
Rahul Todi -- were absconding.
More than 90 persons, most of them patients, died after
inhaling smoke in night from a fire that allegedly started
from cotton and other materials stored illegally in the
basement of the centrally air-conditioned multi-speciality
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges - Part II
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges - Part III
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter
- DNA: Analysis of video of elderly woman being thrashed by daughter - Part II
- Sad but true! Women in India earn 19% less than men, says report
- Jayalalithaa thanks Stalin for attending her swearing-in ceremony, says 'no intent to disrespect him or DMK'
- Snapdeal CPO Anand Chandrasekaran quits
- IT department to 'name and shame' crorepati defaulters this fiscal
- Father and son cut open a wasp's nest – Watch video to find out what's inside!