Two more babies die in BC Roy Hospital
Kolkata: West Bengal government on Monday sought reports from the state-run B C Roy Memorial Children`s
Hospital where seven crib deaths took place in last two days,
The health department asked the authorities of eastern
region`s largest paediatric referral hospital to send reports
about crib deaths.
Hospital sources said that two infants died in last 24
hours and attributed the cause to malnutrition, being
critically ill and underweight.
The fresh two deaths took the infant death toll to
seven in last two days, with ages ranging from 10 days to one
month, the sources said.
The sources, however, dismissed allegations that the
patients` relatives were `roughed up and misbehaved`.
Infant deaths in the city hospital came on the trail
of similar reports from different state-run hospitals in Malda
and Berhampore in last couple of days.
As angry family members staged demonstration and
blocked roads yesterday alleging medical negligence, police
rushed to pacify the agitators.
Hospital Superintendent Dilip Pal pleaded that most of
the babies were brought to the hospital in a critical
condition. He further claimed that there was "nothing
abnormal" in such crib deaths which "is within the
The Superintendent said there was a heavy load of
patients in the hospital and a large number of children are
being brought daily, "many of whom already brought in critical
condition to the hospital".
In October last year, 36 babies had died at several
district hospitals and the referral B C Roy Children`s
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you