Two pro-Maoist activists held in Gyaneshwari case
Kolkata: Two pro-Maoist activists were arrested from West Bengal`s West Midnapore district on Thursday in connection with the May 28 Gyaneshwari Express tragedy, in which 148 passengers were killed, police said.
"Dayamoy Mahato and Ram Mudi were arrested from Indiraboni area in Jhargram sub-division of the district," said Arun Bothra, Central Bureau of Investigation`s Superintendent of Special Crime Branch (SCB) Kolkata.
"The duo arrested by the CBI officials are active members of the pro-Maoist tribal body Peoples` Committee Against police Atrocities," a senior police officer of Jhargram said.
Bothra said: "Both Dayamoy and Ram`s names did not figure in the list of the wanted accused for whose capture cash rewards were announced by the CBI. During interrogation, we came to know about their involvement in the Gyaneshwari sabotage case and they were arrested."
With the arrest of Dayamoy and Ram, as many as 15 accused have been held in connection with the Gyaneshwari case, said the CBI officer.
The Mumbai-bound Gyaneshwari express ran off the rails near Jhargram after a portion of the tracks was sabotaged allegedly by the Maoists. A speeding freight train then rammed into five derailed coaches of the Gyaneshwari Express, resulting in the large number of casualties.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days