Two years on, Mamata `salutes` people for ousting Left
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Monday celebrated two years of her Trinamool Congress being voted to power with a Facebook message saluting the people who had ousted the Left Front government.
"Two years ago, on this day of 13th May, the huge mandate of the people of Bengal ousted the Left Front Government and ended their 34 years of misrule."
"We salute the people for their verdict and dedicate this day to the Maa, Maati, Manush of Bengal," Banerjee said on social networking site Facebook, extolling the mother, land and the people of the state.
The results of the West Bengal assembly elections were declared May 13, 2011. The Trinamool had won 184 of the total 294 seats, registering a landslide victory and paving the way for Banerjee to become the state`s first woman chief minister.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'