Uma Bharati dares West Bengal govt
Kolkata: Denied permission by West Bengal government to hold any rally to mark the start of `Ganga Samagra Yatra` at Gangasagar, BJP leader Uma Bharati Wednesday dared the state to prevent her from holding it or arrest her.
"I will definitely hold the Ganga Yatra on Friday. If the government wants to put me in jail, it may do it," Uma Bharati, who is holding the week-long Ganga Samagra Yatra from September 21 to September 28, told newspersons here.
"I have alone been allowed by the administration to hold Ganga arti at the confluence. No announcement, congregation, rally or procession has been allowed," she said adding the administration has cited law and order problems to deny her permission.
Requesting the government `to see reason,` the former Madhya Pradesh chief minister said "I am not afraid. I want to make it an apolitical event, but if Trinamool Congress wants to make a political issue of it I am prepared to face it."
Stating that she is organising the Ganga Yatra from Gangasagar, where the river meets the Bay of Bengal, to Gangotri, where it rises from the glaciers in the Himalayas, for awareness to keep the river clean and pollution free, Bharati said "If anyone thinks that this is communal then it is very disappointing."
West Bengal state BJP president Rahul Sinha said administrations of different districts through which the river passes from Gangasagar to Farakka in the state had earlier given permission but later withdrew it.
"A public meeting planned in front of the Kapil Muni Temple at Gangasagar has also not been allowed," he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know