Under trial prisoners on hunger-strike
Kolkata: Undertrial prisoners at the Alipore
Central Correctional Home went on a hunger-strike
claiming that they have been languishing behind bars for years
due to delay in redressal of their cases.
Nearly 200 prisoners of ward five, seven and nine,
went on the hunger-strike yesterday, a jail official said.
The undertrials petitioned the correctional home
superintendent that their cases were pending in courts for six
to seven years without redressal or bail, he said.
The petition said that their money had dried up fighting
the cases and the future of their families were in limbo.
"We are trying to persuade them to call off their
hunger-strike," the official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai
- Unfazed by controversy, Haryana's Anil Vij says he would have donated more to Dera Sacha Sauda
- Lakme Fashion Week 2016: What made Emraan Hashmi's ramp walk more special! – Details inside
- Heart attack and stroke prevention: Ways to reduce your risk!
- Invest in different kind of bags, be stylish
- Maharashtra assembly to ratify GST Bill today