Under trial prisoners on hunger-strike
Kolkata: Undertrial prisoners at the Alipore
Central Correctional Home went on a hunger-strike
claiming that they have been languishing behind bars for years
due to delay in redressal of their cases.
Nearly 200 prisoners of ward five, seven and nine,
went on the hunger-strike yesterday, a jail official said.
The undertrials petitioned the correctional home
superintendent that their cases were pending in courts for six
to seven years without redressal or bail, he said.
The petition said that their money had dried up fighting
the cases and the future of their families were in limbo.
"We are trying to persuade them to call off their
hunger-strike," the official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested