Union minister heckled by party men
Canning: Minister of State for Information and Broadcasting C M Jatua was on Sunday heckled by a section of Trinamool Congress workers, who were irked after they were not invited for a party meeting in Gobindanagar, 20 km from here, police said.
Jatua`s car was stopped by about 200 partymen in the area and they asked him why they were not invited for the Jibantala block party meeting presided over by the minister.
As they raised slogans and pushed the minister`s car, police appeared and used canes to disperse them. Nine TC workers were injured in police lathi charge.
Later Jatua told reporters that he had no idea that the party men were not invited in the meeting. "I`ll see to it that such incident does not recur in future," he said.
The agitators alleged that the local TC leader Manik Paik was ignoring older Trinamool workers and hobnobbing with the CPI(M) cadres who had joined the party after the Assembly elections.
- John Kerry to travel to Geneva on Sunday in show of support for Syria ceasefire: US
- Istanbul braces for police lockdown on May Day
- Jat leaders to hold ‘jail bharo’ movement in Haryana today, section 144 imposed in Jind
- PM Modi to launch solar-powered boats in Varanasi today, visit to Ballia also on cards
- Uttarakhand forest fire: Director of Delhi's Fire Dept to visit hill state today, govt to press MI-17 choppers; at least 6 dead