Union Minister stopped from visiting Nadia
Krishnagar: Union minister Deepa Dasmunshi was Friday prevented by the administration from going to Tehatta in Nadia district where the police had opened fire during violence on Wednesday which left one person dead.
Dasmunshi, who was accompanied by Abhijit Mukherjee, MP and son of President Pranab Mukherjee besides some other Congress leaders, were stopped by the police at Bhandarkhola while they were going to Tehatta.
The union minister of state for urban development said, "the police claimed that the situation at Tehatta is all right then why did they stop us from visiting the area? If a few of us were allowed to go there, we could have helped the administration."
Criticising the police action, she said that it was not a political agitation. "There was lapse on the part of the administration."
Yesterday CPI-M leader Anisur Rahaman, Congress leader Manoj Chakraborty and BJP leader Shamik Bhattacharya were stopped at Bhandar Khola en route to Tehatta.
One person was killed and nine others, including eight policemen, were injured in violence in Tehatta on November 14 which led police to open fire in `self-defence`.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video