US Ambassador Nancy Powell calls on WB Governor, no meeting with Mamata
Kolkata: US Ambassador Nancy Powell on Friday met West Bengal Governor MK Narayanan and
businessmen here, but did not have an interaction with Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, as was being speculated.
The US envoy was with the Governor for 45 minutes at Raj Bhavan where she discussed the importance of US-India bilateral relations and burgeoning business ties, US embassy sources said.
During her one-day visit here, Powell also met members of the business community where trade relations were discussed.
The chief minister scotched speculation about a meeting with Powell telling journalists "In my appointment card, there is nothing of the sort. It`s a problem that you make such news," said a visibly annoyed Banerjee.
The official website of Trinamool Congress had on February 14 announced, "The US Ambassador to India, Nancy Powell, has sought a meeting with the West Bengal CM.
"A letter in this connection from her office has reached Nabanna, the state secretariat. West Bengal government has sought a formal clearance from the Union Ministry of External Affairs. The meeting may be scheduled for February 21 or 22."
Powell had met Banerjee in September, 2012, and discussed possible US investments, among other things.
In May of the same year, the then US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, too, had met Banerjee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla