US Ambassador Nancy Powell calls on WB Governor, no meeting with Mamata
Kolkata: US Ambassador Nancy Powell on Friday met West Bengal Governor MK Narayanan and
businessmen here, but did not have an interaction with Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee, as was being speculated.
The US envoy was with the Governor for 45 minutes at Raj Bhavan where she discussed the importance of US-India bilateral relations and burgeoning business ties, US embassy sources said.
During her one-day visit here, Powell also met members of the business community where trade relations were discussed.
The chief minister scotched speculation about a meeting with Powell telling journalists "In my appointment card, there is nothing of the sort. It`s a problem that you make such news," said a visibly annoyed Banerjee.
The official website of Trinamool Congress had on February 14 announced, "The US Ambassador to India, Nancy Powell, has sought a meeting with the West Bengal CM.
"A letter in this connection from her office has reached Nabanna, the state secretariat. West Bengal government has sought a formal clearance from the Union Ministry of External Affairs. The meeting may be scheduled for February 21 or 22."
Powell had met Banerjee in September, 2012, and discussed possible US investments, among other things.
In May of the same year, the then US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, too, had met Banerjee.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- Yakub Memon's body handed over to family, tight security in Mumbai