Use or return land: WB minister to industrialists
Kharagpur: West Bengal Industries Minister Partha Chatterjee on Friday asked the business community to set up units on the land given by the government or return it, reiterating that "land with industry cannot be kept idle".
"If industrialists cannot set up their units in three years, they must give it back to the government. I also urge sick and idle units to return the land to government so that it can be used for other purposes," Chatterjee said here on Friday.
The minister was in this West Midnapore town to lay the foundation stone for a factory in Vidyasagar and inaugurate the first phase of the port and construction equipment factory of Tractors India Limited.
Stating that industrialisation was the way for the state to develop, Chatterjee said the government was mulling making modifications in land reform clauses so as to ensure optimal utilisation of land.
"The land-man ratio in the state is adverse. Therefore, the industry must ensure land and other resources are utilised in the optimum way," said Chatterjee.
The minister visited the 1,149-acre Vidyasagar Industrial Park here where the West Bengal Industrial Development Corporation has allotted 540 acres of land to companies for setting up industrial units.
Chatterjee also made a tongue-in-cheek comment on the erstwhile Left Front government`s industrial policy.
"Though they rolled out the `red carpet` for you but gave you only problems. We have rolled out the green carpet and we assure you won`t have to face any problems," said Chatterjee while addressing the industrialists.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on Ishrat Jahan encounter case
- DNA: After JNU, anti-India slogans at Delhi’s Press Club of India
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- Headley's revelations: Will politicos who termed Ishrat Jahan 'beti' now apologise?- Part II
- Missing girl from Ghaziabad, Dipti Sarna returns; reunited with family
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- Kumar Vishwas' birthday bash: Ajit Doval, BJP and RSS leaders attend; Arvind Kejriwal missing
- Afzal Guru row: JNU students union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested by Delhi Police
- Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna reaches home, police and family remain tight-lipped over her recovery
- Was abducted, blindfolded for four hours; Snapdeal employee Dipti Sarna narrates her ordeal