Varun Gandhi to provide legal help to Singur farmers
Singur: BJP national secretary Varun Gandhi on Tuesday said he would make arrangements for providing legal help to farmers who did not take compensation cheques during the 2006 land agitation here, but were willing to do so now.
"Farmers told me that they would not get compensation cheques even if they wanted to, if they did not join the ruling Trinamool Congress," Gandhi said while addressing a public meeting here in Hooghly district from where the Tata Nano project moved out in 2008 following the 2006 land agitation by the TMC which was a key factor in Mamata Banerjee coming to power in West Bengal.
"Besides filing a petition on behalf of each farmer, I will also approach the President for finding a solution to their plight," the BJP leader said.
"I have not come here to indulge in politics. I have come here to learn about the condition of the farmers," he said.
"Agriculture suffered, industry did not materialise, unemployment is on the rise. I will approach the President with the farmers` demand for a solution," he said.
The BJP in charge of the state said that he had met about a hundred farmers of Bajemelia village who told him that they were practically starving.
Gandhi claimed that both the Left Front and the TMC had reaped political mileage out of Singur.
Immediately after Gandhi left the area, two factions of BJP traded charges over certain local issues and came to blows.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Swabhiman rally: About Bihar's development or Narendra Modi?
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Militants kill two engineers in Pakistan airport attack