Vast areas flooded in Jalpaiguri; Teesta in spate
Jalpaiguri: Over 5,000 people are marooned in Jalpaiguri district where river Teesta is in spate following heavy rains, officials said on Wednesday.
3,000 people were marooned in Chapadanga, Premganj, Dakhin Changari area as the swollen river breached 100-metre embankment following release of 3,200 cusecs of water from Teesta barrage last night.
The Nagrakata-Kherkata link was also snapped as the bridge was washed away and the administration making arrangement to shift the stranded people.
Around 2,000 houses were submerged in the flood.
In Totopara hamlet, inhabited by an indigenous tribe, another 2,000 were marooned even as all communication links to Madarihat town was snapped.
Areas adjacent to Teesta in Jalpaiguri town including Sukanto Pally, Vivekananda Pally, Indira Colony were also flooded.
The floods have jeopardised the panchayat poll preparations in the district, scheduled to be held on July 25.
Met office sources said there could be heavy rains in next 24 hours in the area.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of terror attacks in Baramulla and Kupwara
- DNA: Farooq Abdullah insults national anthem, talks on phone
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part II
- Should IAS officers express their opinion on social media platform?- Part III