Vast areas of two south Bengal districts flooded
Kolkata: Vast areas of seven blocks in East and West Midnapore districts of West Bengal have been affected by flood due to heavy rainfall in the upper catchment area in the past two days and release of water from different reservoirs in the state and Jharkhand.
Heavy rains lashing the district since October 13 have inundated Midnapore Sadar block as well as Kesiary, Dantan, Sabang and Pingla blocks in Kharagpur sub-division, West Midnapore district magistrate Md. Golam Ansari said.
At least four rivers - Shilabati, Kangsabati, Subarnarekha and Kankabati are in spate in Wast Midnapore district alone, which adjoins Odisha, in the aftermath of Cyclone Phailin, he said.
Flood in East and West Midnapore districts were due to breach of embankments in river Kangsabati at several points like Gorpurushottampur, Ranihati and Panskura.
Altogether seven blocks including Gopiballabhpur I and II, Nayagram, Sankrail, Dantan I and II, and Kesiary have been badly affected, district administration sources said, adding 62 relief camps have been opened to provide shelter to nearly 12,000 people.
Kankabati River has breached its embankment in Keshpur block at two places and Shilabati River at Daspur, Ansari said.
The situation has been compounded by Damodar Valley Corporation (DVC) releasing water from its Maithan dam and from Galudi Barrage on Subarnarekha River in Jharkhand, district authorities said, apprehending the water might rise during the night.
All BDOs have been alerted and speed boats are being used to evacuate people from Gopiballabhpur. Food, tarpaulins and medicines have been arranged, Ansari said, adding one person has been reported missing so far.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy?
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part II
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part III
- Does govt want to hike rail ticket in the name of subsidy? Part IV
- Panel discussion over India's bid for NSG
- Who said what on Anil Kumble's appointment as Team India's head coach
- 78 dead, 200 badly hurt in extreme weather in eastern China
- Watch this interesting movie-like trailer for NASA's Juno mission!
- Pakistan-North Korea nuclear trade being tracked by Indian intelligence agencies: Report