Vast areas of two south Bengal districts flooded
Kolkata: Vast areas of seven blocks in East and West Midnapore districts of West Bengal have been affected by flood due to heavy rainfall in the upper catchment area in the past two days and release of water from different reservoirs in the state and Jharkhand.
Heavy rains lashing the district since October 13 have inundated Midnapore Sadar block as well as Kesiary, Dantan, Sabang and Pingla blocks in Kharagpur sub-division, West Midnapore district magistrate Md. Golam Ansari said.
At least four rivers - Shilabati, Kangsabati, Subarnarekha and Kankabati are in spate in Wast Midnapore district alone, which adjoins Odisha, in the aftermath of Cyclone Phailin, he said.
Flood in East and West Midnapore districts were due to breach of embankments in river Kangsabati at several points like Gorpurushottampur, Ranihati and Panskura.
Altogether seven blocks including Gopiballabhpur I and II, Nayagram, Sankrail, Dantan I and II, and Kesiary have been badly affected, district administration sources said, adding 62 relief camps have been opened to provide shelter to nearly 12,000 people.
Kankabati River has breached its embankment in Keshpur block at two places and Shilabati River at Daspur, Ansari said.
The situation has been compounded by Damodar Valley Corporation (DVC) releasing water from its Maithan dam and from Galudi Barrage on Subarnarekha River in Jharkhand, district authorities said, apprehending the water might rise during the night.
All BDOs have been alerted and speed boats are being used to evacuate people from Gopiballabhpur. Food, tarpaulins and medicines have been arranged, Ansari said, adding one person has been reported missing so far.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Mbose.in HSSLC 12th Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (megresults.nic.in) class 12th HSSLC Arts exam results 2016, MBOSE to be declared today on May 25 at 10 AM
- Uttarakhand board Class 10th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM
- Goa GBSHSE SSC Class 10th Results 2016 to be declared today May 25, 2016 at 3 PM
- Uttarakhand board Class 12th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM
- 'Russia killed 28,000 militants in Syria, third of all IS forces'