Village police force to be set up in WB: Mamata
Siliguri (WB): A village police force consisting 3,500 personnel would soon be set up, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Sunday said.
Banerjee, while inaugurating a police commissionerate at Siliguri in north Bengal, said the strength of the force would be increased later.
The government plans to form 65 women police station of which 10 has already been set up, she said after the inauguration programme at Mallaguri here.
"After coming to power, we have recruited 40,000 policemen of which 15,700 are in Jungle Mahal (the Maoist affected forested area of West Midnapore, Purulia and Bankura districts in south Bengal) alone," Banerjee said.
"We are trying to achieve in five years what the previous Left Front government could not in 34 years," she said.
Comprised of five police stations -- Siliguri, Matigara, Pradhan Nagar, Bhaktinagar and Bagdogra -- the Siliguri commissionerate would cater to 10.2 lakh population living in an area of 640 sq km.
There would be 900 policemen under the Commissioner of Police Anand Kumar, who had been serving as superintendent of police, district intelligence branch of Darjeeling.
The number of policemen would be increased to 2,200, the chief minister said adding she would soon inaugurate the circuit bench of Calcutta High Court at Jalpaiguri near here.
She also inaugurated the Siliguri office of the Railway Recruitment Board in presence of Railway Minister Mukul Roy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened