Village police force to be set up in WB: Mamata
Siliguri (WB): A village police force consisting 3,500 personnel would soon be set up, Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Sunday said.
Banerjee, while inaugurating a police commissionerate at Siliguri in north Bengal, said the strength of the force would be increased later.
The government plans to form 65 women police station of which 10 has already been set up, she said after the inauguration programme at Mallaguri here.
"After coming to power, we have recruited 40,000 policemen of which 15,700 are in Jungle Mahal (the Maoist affected forested area of West Midnapore, Purulia and Bankura districts in south Bengal) alone," Banerjee said.
"We are trying to achieve in five years what the previous Left Front government could not in 34 years," she said.
Comprised of five police stations -- Siliguri, Matigara, Pradhan Nagar, Bhaktinagar and Bagdogra -- the Siliguri commissionerate would cater to 10.2 lakh population living in an area of 640 sq km.
There would be 900 policemen under the Commissioner of Police Anand Kumar, who had been serving as superintendent of police, district intelligence branch of Darjeeling.
The number of policemen would be increased to 2,200, the chief minister said adding she would soon inaugurate the circuit bench of Calcutta High Court at Jalpaiguri near here.
She also inaugurated the Siliguri office of the Railway Recruitment Board in presence of Railway Minister Mukul Roy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM