Villagers chase away Maoists in West Midnapore
Jhargram (WB): For the second time in a
week, villagers refused to abide by Maoist diktats and chased
them away in West Midnapore district.
Two youths came on a motorbike to Nischinta village near
Lodhasoli and asked the villagers to gather for a meeting by
PCPA, a frontal organisation of the Maoists, in neighbouring
Nohoria village Saturday night, police said.
As the villagers declined, about 14 Peoples Committee
against Police Atrocities (PCPA) activists on motorbikes came
to Nischinta and threatened them.
Enraged villagers chased the PCPA activists with sticks
and bows and arrows, and caught one of them along with his
bike, they said.
They tied up the youth and reported the incident to the
police, which reached the village this morning. However, the
villagers refused to hand over the Maoist to police, and
demanding setting up of a police camp there.
Police said a search has been launched to trace the
Maoist, an active member of the PCPA.
Villagers told visiting newsmen that the youths had told
them that the PCPA wanted them to attack the police and CPI-M
On Thursday, residents of Radhanagar village in the
district refused to join anti-government rally and chased away
The rebels struck back the next day and hacked to pieces
and gunned down a school headmaster in front of the school for
not freeing students to attend a Maoist rally in the district
the next day.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan