Violence over RAF jawan molesting school girl
Darjeeling: A Rapid Action Force constable allegedly molested a school girl in Darjeeling, triggering angry protests by locals and students who fought a pitched battle with police.
The police fired three warning shots in the air and lathicharged the protesters to disperse the mob which threw stones at the securitymen and attacked the police outpost at Singmari here last night, police said.
The locals gheraoed Darjeeling police station last evening as the news of a RAF constable, Arun Pramanik, allegedly molesting a Class XI student of Ghum Girls` School, sources said.
Pramanik, who was arrested immediately, pleaded innocence, officials said.
Angry locals and students blocked roads and set two buses on fire in Darjeeling and Kalimpong last night. Twenty-five people were arrested this morning for the violence.
A 12-hour general strike across the hills is being observed since the morning. Shops and other business establishments have downed shutters and most of the roads in the town wear a deserted look.
CRPF and RAF jawans have been patrolling the streets of Darjeeling to maintain peace and contain violence, sources said.
Meanwhile, Jyoti Kumar Rai, an elected member of GTA (Gorkha Territorial Administration) and close aide of GJM chief Bimal Gurung was arrested early this morning in connection with an old case relating to torching of a police outpost at Pokhribang.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok