Visva-Bharati shame: Court to hear PIL against PM
Kolkata: The Kolkata High Court will on Friday hear a contempt petition filed against Prime Dr Manmohan Singh and many others in connection with the corporal punishment case at the prestigious Visva-Bharati University.
The PIL refers to the case of corporal punishment given to a class V student of Visva-Bharati University, who was asked to lick her urine as punishment for bed-wetting.
The PIL has been moved against PM since he is the Chancellor of the University.
The notice was sent following a PIL which claimed that PM and others officials of the University violated laws of punishment in the state.
The Calcutta High Court had earlier banned corporal punishment in 2004 and framed proper guidelines in 2009 saying that students should be counselled for doing anything wrong instead of being punished.
A detailed report from the University and the Central government has been sought by the National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR). When the case came to limelight, a four-member fact finding team was constituted by the university to do a minute investigation to find the guilty.
Both the warden of the hostel and the parents of the victim were arrested and later were released on bails. The parents of the girl were accused of forcing their way into the girl`s hostel without permission as they had stormed the hostel premise after the shocking incident.
With PTI Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi