Voting peaceful in Darjeeling hills
Darjeeling: Voting to fill up 17 seats in the newly-formed Gorkhaland Territorial Administration in Darjeeling hills ended peacefully on Sunday.
Superintendent of Police Kunal Agarwal said there had been no untoward incident from any part of the hills.
There are a total 45 seats in the GTA, 28 of which have been won uncontested by the Gorkha Janamukti Morcha.
The CPI-M had earlier withdrawn from the contest. So did the Trinamool Congress, though at the last stage.
Some TMC nominees fought the election because, as they contended, they had not been communicated the party`s decision of withdrawal from the contest in time.
In 14 seats at Kalimpong and Darjeeling sub-divisions, candidates of the GJM, Trinamool Congress as well as an Independent candidate contested.
The Independent candidate is contesting against the GJM candidate at Nimdong constituency in Kalimpong.
Seventy per cent voters have exercised their franchise in these constituencies.
Voters of three booths -- Belgachi, Panighata and Sukna -- boycotted voting.
People of Belgachi and Panighata did not vote for any of the candidates as they do not want to join GTA. People in Sukna boycotted the polls as they felt there had been no development in the past few years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy