Voting peaceful in Darjeeling hills
Darjeeling: Voting to fill up 17 seats in the newly-formed Gorkhaland Territorial Administration in Darjeeling hills ended peacefully on Sunday.
Superintendent of Police Kunal Agarwal said there had been no untoward incident from any part of the hills.
There are a total 45 seats in the GTA, 28 of which have been won uncontested by the Gorkha Janamukti Morcha.
The CPI-M had earlier withdrawn from the contest. So did the Trinamool Congress, though at the last stage.
Some TMC nominees fought the election because, as they contended, they had not been communicated the party`s decision of withdrawal from the contest in time.
In 14 seats at Kalimpong and Darjeeling sub-divisions, candidates of the GJM, Trinamool Congress as well as an Independent candidate contested.
The Independent candidate is contesting against the GJM candidate at Nimdong constituency in Kalimpong.
Seventy per cent voters have exercised their franchise in these constituencies.
Voters of three booths -- Belgachi, Panighata and Sukna -- boycotted voting.
People of Belgachi and Panighata did not vote for any of the candidates as they do not want to join GTA. People in Sukna boycotted the polls as they felt there had been no development in the past few years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo