Waiting to see Centre`s bill on land acquisition: Mamata
Kolkata: West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee on Thursday said she was waiting to see what shape the Centre`s controversial bill on land acquisition takes but remained firm on her stand against forcible acquisition of land.
"We are against forcible acquisition of land (for industries) and we continue to maintain our stand. The government cannot act as brokers or looters of land.
"Those industrialists who want to set up industry should buy land through peaceful negotiations directly," she told reporters at the state secretariat here.
Government role in land acquisition leads to firing and involvement of `bad people`, she said.
She blamed the erstwhile Left Front government of mishandling the land issue during its 34 years of rule which saw Singur and Nandigram episodes.
During LF rule 15,000 acres at Rajarhat (the satellite township adjoining Kolkata) were acquired from farmers forcibly, she claimed.
"We do not want a repeat of the situation". The land at Rajarhat was taken away by the then government `secretly` and "Unfortunately you (media) did not highlight this," she alleged.
Her comment came days after former West Bengal chief minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee accused her government of driving away investors, jeopardising the state`s economy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Say hello to 'nastiest' star ever
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy