Wanted KLO leader released on bail in place of another
Malda: A wanted KLO leader and close aide of Malkhan Singh, the underground outfit`s top leader, who was arrested from Karnataka and lodged in a correctional home here was allowed to go on bail instead of another person.
Nabanu Burman, the wanted Kamtapur Liberation Organisation leader was released from Malda district correctional home Wednesday night on the receipt of a communication by the police, its superintendent D Bhutia said.
After his release there was confusion as Burman had not been produced in court during the day.
It was later found that a KLO linkman Kartik Mondal, who had been arrested from here some time ago and lodged in the same jail, had been granted bail by the court after he was produced before it, Bhutia said.
Following this the Malda DIG Satyajit Banerjee has ordered a probe into the incident, police and jail authorities said.
Meanwhile, Burman went to Habibpur police station and surrendered himself last night.
Burman, who had been allegedly involved in the shooting inside a running bus at Habibpur in Malda district last year besides other cases, had been brought to Malda from Bengaluru on April 3 on transit remand by the police after his arrest in Bengaluru in March end.
He was remanded to police custody by a local court the next day and thereafter to jail custody after being charged with sedition. Malkhan Singh was himself arrested from Malda district in April.
KLO is demanding a separate Kamtapur state comprising Cooch Behar, Darjeeling, Jalpaiguri, North and South Dinajpur and Malda districts of West Bengal and Kokrajhar, Bongaigaon, Dhubri and Goalpara districts of Assam and has been blamed for a string of attacks in north Bengal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened