Wanted Maoist arrested in West Bengal
Jhargram: A Maoist sharpshooter and wanted in a number of murders in West Bengal and Orissa was apprehended by the joint forces from Kandasole forest in West Midnapore district on Saturday.
Jhargram superintendent of police Bharati Ghosh said Mansingh Murmu alias Sujoy was caught during the noon in the forest bordering Orissa following a tip off and is being interrogated.
He is an active member of CPI(Maoist) Ranjan Munda squad and is an expert in using Insas and .303 rifles, Ghosh told newsmen.
Ranjan Munda was caught a few days ago.
Charges of sedition, murder, sabotage and conspiracy have been slapped on the 27 year-old Maoist, Ghosh said adding he would be produced before the court tomorrow.
Sujoy is alleged to have been involved in the killing of several CPI-M members and leaders at Gopiballavpur and Nayagram in the past three years, besides those of an assistant sub-inspector of police and two constables who were bodyguards of Orissa MP Sudam Marandi earlier this year.
A non bailable arrest warrant had been issued against Sujoy since the Mayurbhanj shooting but he had successfully evaded Orissa police.
The ultra was also alleged to have led the Maoists in the exchange of fire with the joint forces on February 3 and 12. He was also active in Jhargram in West Bengal.
Police said Orissa and Jharkhand police are also likely to interrogate him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state