Was denied copy of law intern`s affidavit: Justice AK Ganguly
Zee Media Bureau
Kolkata: Justice (retd) AK Ganguly said on Thursday that he was denied a copy of the law intern`s affidavit on grounds of confidentiality.
Talking to news agency, the chairman of West Bengal Human Rights Commission said, "When I appeared before the Supreme Court on November 27, I asked for a copy of (Law Intern`s) affidavit. I was denied it, on grounds of confidentiality."
He also said, "Normal laws will require that a person whose honour is at stake, must be given a copy of the allegation."
"I am not saying anything else, people should form their own opinion," he added.
AK Ganguly is accused of sexually harassing a law intern. The girl, who has passed out from a Kolkata law school, had in a sworn affidavit before a three-judge panel of apex court judges gave a detailed account of what happened to her in a Delhi hotel room on 24 December, 2012 when she was called by the judge at night.
The committee had indicted the former judge for `unwelcome behaviour` and `conduct of sexual nature` towards the girl who was then working as a law intern with him. Ganguly has so far denied all the allegations against him and has ruled out resigning as the head of the WBHRC.
Meanwhile, the Home Ministry has sought the Law Ministry`s opinion on sending a Presidential reference to the Supreme Court to probe into allegations against Justice Ganguly and give its recommendations on the issue of removing him as chairman of WBHRC.
Several women rights activists, political leaders from the BJP and Trinamool Congress have been demanding his removal.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre